Monday, June 25, 2012

Smoldering Lattes: an Infallible Concoction

I recently acquired two L'Oreal Infallibles to add to my collection. I adored the UK-exclusive Sahara Treasure Infallible I received from Jian, so it was about time I got a few more. I got Iced Latte, which I had been lemming for the longest time, and a new summer shade, Smoldering Plum.


The L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows have been making the rounds on blogs all over the world. Even though it's been months since its first release, new collections have kept the hype going. It's kind of amazing that a drugstore item could cause so much buzz and still maintain it. 


Iced Latte is one of the original shades and has been raved about constantly. The first time I laid eyes on Iced Latte, which was months ago, I knew I had to get it. Although I'm not sure why there was such a delay between my first encounter with it and my actual purchase of it. Laziness, I guess? 


Iced Latte is the perfect champagne color. It has a beautiful pearly finish, and it is amazingly opaque. It applies super smooth, and I imagine it would look fabulous as an inner tearduct highlight. It's just as I anticipated, maybe even more, and I can already tell that it will become a staple in my collection. 

I was just going to leave with Iced Latte, but then this other one caught my eye: Smoldering Plum. Skewed by the horrid store lighting, it didn't look very impressive. It looked like a burnt sienna color, but something still made me look. Though I was wary of why none of them were sealed (are they ever sealed?), I decided to unscrew the cap to get a better look, and thus revealed the most beautiful plum I'd ever seen. In my mind, the whole scene was just this giant euphoria of my hair being blown back and the eyeshadow illuminating in my hands. Yes, it was that amazing.


Smoldering Plum is a gorgeous plum shade with an understated coppery pink iridescence running through it. It's really hard to explain and photograph this eyeshadow, but you'll have to take my word on it that it's really something. If those velvet royal purple robes that kings and queens wore back in the day were turned into an eyeshadow, Smoldering Plum would be just that. The color itself, the consistency, and the pigmentation are fit for a queen. I can just picture how gorgeous and "smoldering" this shade would be for a smokey eye.

Swatches in natural lighting, no flash: Iced Latte (left), Smoldering Plum (right).

The swatches above are all from just one swipe of each eyeshadow. The quality of these eyeshadows is really superb. Iced Latte is so beautifully pearlescent and Smoldering Plum is just so deep and regal. I couldn't quite capture the iridescence in Smoldering Plum, but it really is there. If I had been in actual sunlight, the swatches would have definitely shown better on my camera (alas!). But I will definitely show this off in a look soon enough!

Next on my Infallibles list: Liquid Diamond, another unique shade that came out with their summer collection. It's this really complex silver that flashes lavender/lilac in some lights, pale blue in some, and just plain silver in others. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right but I think...I think I need it. So tell me, have you fallen to the Infallibles craze yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment