Monday, January 7, 2013

NYC Food Adventure!

This past weekend, my family and I decided to embark on a less-than-24-hour food excursion to not only celebrate the new year, but also because my parents' vacation time was winding down. They picked me up right afterschool on Friday and we drove to New York City. We stayed for one night at the Strand Hotel (which is so swanky, damn) and left Saturday afternoon. For our little food fest, we ate a dinner at Sik Gaek and a lunch the next day at Momofuku Noodle Bar.

Sik Gaek was quite an experience. The waiters all wore ahjumma pants (which was hilarious and cute at the same time) and yelled/blew horns/hazed people with a giant black afro if it was their birthday. There were three victims the night we went. We sat in long shared tables with tall plastic stools. The place looked so purposefully rundown. It was pretty...pretty...one of a kind.

Complimentary self-fried fried eggs.
Hung our jackets on floating coat racks in the middle of the restaurant.
The stools we sat on.
Complimentary tteokbokki.
Live Octopus Sashimi!?! I was too scared to try this, it was MOVING.
Kimchi pancake.
HUGE Seafood hotpot. HUGE.
The claw kept clamping and unclamping over and over again.
Night//Morning - perfect view of the Empire State Building from our hotel window.
Times Square Disney Store -- hadn't been in one in years.
Times Square! The ball was still up.

Momofuku Noodle Bar was a lovely little lunch (hah, alliteration). The famous pork buns were heavenly, the ramen had the perfect soup-to-noodle ratio, and the noodles were perfectly cooked. However, I hate to say it, but it was just a tad overpriced. I did love their restaurant design! The bright wooden (I'm thinking bamboo) furniture was on point. I would go back with friends one day, though, when we can all split the bill. But I will have to find a cheaper alternative to get my ramen fix next time!

Their menus change everyday.
Those famous pork buns!
Momofuku Ramen.

And that concludes my family's mini food feast this past weekend. It was compact but still so complete. With a little advanced planning and a GPS, we can fill our bellies with delicious foods we can't find in Boston! Have you ever gone on a one-day food trip (or just a one-day trip) before? If you haven't, you must! It is quite an experience. Have a great week! :)

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks so satisfying! Theres a momofuku in toronto and i really need to get myself there because ive been so excited to try it since it opened. maybe a nice little weekend trip in my own city..... hope you enjoy the rest of yout week as well :) xx

    ReplyDelete