Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fall into Autumn

Your cheeks turn red from the crisp, cold air. You start bundling up in a nice chunky scarf. You lose the summer dresses and break out the warm pea coat. You chuckle a little the first day you're able to see your own breath. You are delighted by all the warm colors invading the trees. You see more and more leaves piling up on the ground with each passing day. Before you know it, you've fallen into the loveliest season of the year: autumn.


With September having finally arrived, the end of summer and the shuffling in of autumn is nigh. Autumn in New England has always been so magical. Whether it is going apple-picking or simply taking a walk in the park, the season brings a calm beauty to our surroundings that I just can't describe. The foliage is absolutely beautiful and the air so crisp. 

When I first got my DSLR last year in November, I was so giddy in testing out the settings and getting to know this baby that I went out a lot to take pictures throughout the city. I took these pictures just a week before the trees lost all their leaves. After half an hour or so, my fingers were basically all frozen but I still kept on snapping away.

The squirrel was so chubby and ready to hibernate.

And so, to welcome the incoming autumn, I pulled some makeup products from my collection that reminded me of the warm autumn leaves and the overall essence of the season. It made me think of cozy browns and taupes as well as deep plums and reds.

  • L'Oreal HiP Shadow Stick in Meticulous (2): I can imagine a nice argyle sweater with this pale taupe, almost barley-like color.
  • Revlon Beyond Natural Eye Pencil in Brown (1): This is the perfect warm red-brown, like rich, warm caramel. The pencil itself is nice and creamy.
  • MAC Eyeshadow in Evening Aura (7): The pale, yellow-orange hue that leaves turn into in the beginning of the season is exemplified in this eyeshadow.
  • Revlon Colorstay Eyeshadow Quad in Coffee Bean (8): The consumption of hot coffee marks the beginning of the cooler months, and what better to represent that than this quad of cozy neutrals so aptly named?
  • MAC Eyeshadow in Satin Taupe (3): I have a thin, knitted beanie in this cult-favorite taupe from MAC. It's perfect for those cold, but not too cold days, not to mention beanies are so cute.
  • Maybelline Expertwear Eyeshadow in Urban Brown (6): This is such a rich, teddy bear brown color, and I think autumn truly is the season of rich colors.
  • Lancome Color Design Eyeshadow in Brown Mist (4): A cool brown with a forest green shimmer, I liken this to the exposed branches and tree trunks during the later half of the season.
  • Maybelline Expertwear Eyeshadow in Cinnamon Spice (5): This is probably my quintessential fall eyeshadow color. Not only is the name of the color oh-so appropriate, the color itself reminds me of spiced cider, Thanksgiving, and of course, cinnamon/pumpkin spice lattes.

My favorite type of foliage is when the leaves turn a deep, vibrant, gorgeous red. It's breathtaking. The red is such a contrast against the usually cloudless, pale blue sky and against the other foliage. I likened this color to lip and cheek products.

  • Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain in Plum Pout (11): More than anything, this is a deep red rather than a plum. Freshly applied, the color is so deep and pigmented, but after a while it leaves the perfect berry stain that I associate with autumn.
  • Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Soft Rose (12): This is a lovely muted rose that is just perfect for this season -- definitely my staple autumn lip.
  • NARS Lipstick in Flamenco (13): Vibrant red lips are always popular, but this one allows you the option of building up the color or leaving it sheer.
  • Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment (14): The cold weather can take a toll on your lips, so this is great to keep them moisturized. It has a very pleasant lemon scent.
  • Rimmel Blush in Plum (10): I wish I had a deeper plum blush, but this will do for now. It is a muted dusty plum color that provides the right amount of flush to the cheeks.
  • L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Smoldering Plum (9): You know I love this already, but basically this is the deep purple/plum color of the season. 
  • Jack Black Lip Balm in Lemon & Chamomile (15): Another lemon scent, eh? Well this one reminds me of yummy lemon honey tea...which is perfect to warm yourself up in cold weather!

So, are you guys looking forward to the cooler weather of autumn as much as I am? And to those of you in the southern hemisphere, it's going to be spring and summer soon, I think? I've always wondered, what's it like to have Christmas during the summer? Ah, but I can't wait for the colder months, mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment